Monday, February 7, 2011

Hunk of Meat Monday: Deep Dish Pizza

With Maddie playing soccer a couple of nights a week lately, I have been looking for easy, hearty meals that I can prepare ahead of time or in the time that we are home from school getting out and time to head back to town for the game.  Last week I came across this recipe for a Deep Dish Pizza (get the full recipe by clicking on the link) by Christy Jordan on Southern Plate.  It was a hit with the girls and William.

All you need for the filling is: Ground Beef, Pizza Sauce or Spaghetti Sauce, Italian Seasoning, Parmesan Cheese, Mozzarella Cheese, an Onion, and Pepper.

Start by browning your beef in a skillet.

Then, dice the onion and add to the browning beef.
 
While it is browning, prepare your 9x13 baking dish by spraying it with cooking spray and then covering the bottom of it with the mozzarella cheese.

When the beef and onion is finished browning, drain and then stir in the the pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce.  Note: I chose to use just a basic spaghetti sauce from a jar because I am just not the biggest fan of pizza sauce.


Then prepare the crust mixture of All Purpose Flour, eggs, bit of Salt and a little vegetable oil.  Mix those ingredients in a separate bowl and then pour over your meat mixture.

Top off with the Parmesan cheese and place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
While it is baking you will have time to put some clothes in the washer and help little ones with their homework.

After the pizza has baked -


and you have served it to your hungry crowd don't be surprised if you get these results from a little one who had a fight with a M&M earlier in the day.
(yes I do wash her face, but blue M&M is tough to get off)

I

See other Hunk of Meat Monday recipes at Beyer Beware


Hunk of Meat Mondays







4 comments:

Lisa said...

What an easy way to make deep dish! Much easier than making the dough, waiting for it to rise, etc. Thanks for the idea!

Miz Helen said...

We just love a really good deep dish pizza and yours looks just right. I would like to invite you to bring a dish to my Full Plate Thursday. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week!

Surrounded-By-Boys said...

i THANK YOU for using BEEF. : )
good recipe...will have to try it!

Leah Beyer said...

Feel your pain with the frantic week nights. I love easy go to meals and ones I can make ahead. And I might have an attachment to my crock pot that isn't healthy! Thanks for linking up!